Greetings, Corvallis-area teachers!
During the 2020-21 school year, we offer a FREE, interactive, fun and musical in-classroom activity around Preventing Wasted Food. It can assist in meeting Common Core ELA Standards and Next Generation Science Standards (details below).
This is available through grant funding for the Corvallis Sustainability Coalition’s project, No Food Left Behind, from Oregon’s Department of Environmental Quality. IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE DIGITALLY BY FALL SEMESTER.
WHAT IS IT?
- Eco-EduTainment is a smart, fun way for students to learn why and how to reduce wasted food, to help save money and the planet!
- Local musician and experienced educator, Magic Mama (Kjersten Hallin) leads the activities; you may have caught Magic Mama at past public library performances.
- Even if viewed from home, this activity can get kids moving and gets them thinking!
- HERE is an example song, called “Food: Too Good to Waste”
HOW IT HELPS TEACHERS:
Students will be engaged in songs, critical thinking and creative problem solving using cross-cutting concepts integrating science, music, math, health and language arts. The concepts we will work with address several core standards within NGSS and STEM (NGSS: 3-5-ETS1-1 / 4-ESS3.A / 5-ESS3-1, and MU.1.CR1.5):
- interdependent relationships in ecosystems
- cycles of matter and energy transfer in ecosystems
- converting percentages to fractions and analyzing graphs
- musically improvising ideas with rhythm and melody
- promoting healthy eating habits
Activities will reinforce comprehension and collaboration as well as the expression of ideas using arts as communication, a means to wellbeing and community engagement. The lesson is also an introduction to Social Science education that begins in sixth grade, helping students develop as rational, humane and productive citizens and conscious consumers.
It also ties in nicely with the OMSI Outdoor School experience your students get later in the school year, where they will also be working on reducing wasted food.
Presentations are performed in English, and printed materials will be available in both English and Spanish. ALL Corvallis schools with 4th and 5th graders are welcome – public, charter, private.
The No Food Left Behind team looks forward to serving your students!