Fortunately, there are solutions! You and people in your household can make simple changes to make a BIG difference!
Sometimes change just starts with awareness:
- Learn Why It Matters- What's the big fuss over wasting food?
- See how WHAT Is Wasted matters as much as the amount that is wasted.
- What about Composting? Why isn't that the best solution?
- TRUE LIFE CYCLE COSTS: Want to learn the true enviro-impacts of producing foods? Check out Oregon DEQ's Food Fact Sheets for Beer, Citrus, Coffee, Pork, Tomatoes, Wine and more. See how resource-intensive foods are before they get into our shopping carts.
- THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT: How about smart device Apps that can help you with meal planning, making a grocery list, figuring out how to use the ingredients you have on hand for a meal, and more?
- RECIPES: See our page of Recipes where you can find links to sites that show you how to use leftovers up, and create new delicious meals out of parts of food that you wouldn't normally eat.
- SCHOOLS: Starting in 2021, Eco-EduTainment for fifth AND fourth graders will be available to schools for digital remote and in-classroom presentation. Interactive performance Art is an amazing way to get kids educated about the issue of wasted food!
- D.I.Y. WASTED FOOD DISCOVERY WEEK: Test your current habits around food! Download and try our one-week do-it-yourself tracking form, measuring the food that went bad, was overcooked, etc. See FIRST-HAND where the waste can be avoided next time.
Use these Smart Strategies and Tools to get a handle on your waste at home.
NEW FOR 2021:
D.I.Y. Wasted Food Discovery Week form
NUEVO EN 2021:
Smart Strategies: Storage
A-Z Fruit and Vegetable Storage Guide
Smart Saving: “Eat First” Sign for your leftovers area
Freezer Inventory List
FDA’s Refrigerator and Freezer Storage Chart
Freezing Fruits and Vegetables
Freezing Convenience Foods